The Belden Bridge is a steel, rigid connection, one lane, one span
Pratt-style bridge, 104 feet long. It was built in 1913 by the American
Bridge Company for the Oro Light and Power Company and served as a
Western Pacific Railroad spur used in the delivery of building materials
for the Yellow Creek Powerhouse.
Once the highway was completed in 1937, the bridge was converted
to a single lane highway bridge serving as a link to Highway 24 (now 70)
for local residents and the Belden community.
According to a 1985 CALTRANS bridge report, it is historically
significant under Criterion A, as a key link in an important highway and
Criterion C, as a distinctive example of a type, method and period of
For more on the history of the Belden Bridge: click here